For you who want something to hold on to.
A slow, intentional and tangible practice, sacred letters are spiritual direction by post, inspired by the long-distance soul friendships of Christians through the centuries.
In the days before phones and internet, people communicated by post, writing letters that would then be carried through multiple hands to reach their recipient.
Some of the earliest spiritual directors were nuns, priests and monks who wrote letters containing with their thoughts, their wisdom, their experience and their encouragement to fellow spiritual seekers.
It is that slow, intentional, loving spirit of spiritual direction that I hope to embody in this practice of sacred letters!
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Sacred Letters are available when you need them. Whenever you have something on your mind that you would like a compassionate, considered response to, you can send me an email or letter - as long or as short as you like.
Within a week of receiving your message, I will send you a handwritten letter back to the address you have given me. It will definitely include more questions to wonder and maybe journal about, but also quotes and stories that I think might be helpful, my own experience when that is relevant, and encouragement for the next right steps.
THE STEPS IN DETAIL...
1. You purchase one of the Sacred Letter options - either a one-off or a bundle.
2. You send me either an email or a letter. You can share whatever you like - whether a particular question or a more general wondering or experience from your life.
3. Within a week of receiving your letter or email, I spend time sitting with it and then write my response and send it by post back to the address you gave me.
4. You read the letter and respond however you like - I might have suggested questions to journal with, a spiritual practice to try, or something to read.
5. If you have purchased a bundle, you're welcome to respond to my letter at your own timing, and the exchange continues!
WHAT ABOUT TIMING?
The letters we exchange are obviously dependant on the efficiency of the postal systems between our homes! I commit to responding to you within a week of receiving your email or letter (except when I am away on holiday - I will let you know ahead of time when that is the case).
As a rough idea, letters to Europe or North America tend to reach their destination within a week. For other destinations, you're welcome to send me a message and I can look up a time estimate.
DO I NEED TO MAKE A LONG COMMITMENT?
No. You can pay for letters one at a time, or I have bundles of four or eight available. Through Sacred Letters, I hope to be available to you for as brief or long a period as is helpful.